Our Core Values
Party Values and Attributes
- The Party's core values should remain constant. The PAP reaffirms the founding ideals that enabled it to successfully govern and transform Singapore into a modern miracle.
- The mission of the PAP is to build a fair and just society where the benefits of progress are spread widely to all.
- Honest:The Party must remain clean, incorruptible, above board and transparent, and lead with integrity.
- Multiracial:A Singaporean Singapore that belongs equally to all citizens, where every individual, regardless of race, language, and religion is assured of justice and fairness.
- Meritocratic:A system that provides citizens with equal opportunities to progress, and for a person's contributions to be recognised and appreciated on the basis of merit.
- Self-reliant:No one owes us a living. We will avoid creating the dependency syndrome a welfare state generates.
- Based on these values, the PAP has consistently manifested reliability, pragmatism, unity, far-sightedness, decisiveness, compassion and resilience over the past four decades of its existence.
- Reliable:We say what we will do and do what we say. Fulfilling on promises has shown our people they CAN TRUST us. It has also earned the Party the people's confidence in our competence and ability to deliver. This has enabled us to formulate and implement policies effectively.
- Pragmatic:We have never been trapped by ideology. Instead, we have maintained a flexible approach to generating novel solutions to the problems confronting the nation whilst remaining consistent to our values. By doing so, we have shown that our approach CAN WORK.
- United:A key strength of the Party is the strong sense of unity, loyalty and discipline. This means strong individuals who may have diverse views CAN STICK TOGETHER to work as one effectively.
- Far-sighted:We operate with a very long-term horizon. No problem is too remote just because its effects may only be evident in the future. We CAN SEE AHEAD to guide our people along the best way forward.
- Decisive:The ability to make swift and bold decisions even in the absence of complete information is a key asset. We CAN DO the necessary to make painful but correct decisions for the long term.
- Compassionate:We must be able to instinctively empathise with our people. We CAN FEEL their worries, concerns, as well as share their hopes and dreams.
- Resilient:The ability to persevere despite the discomfort, personal risk or possibility of failure means we CAN LAST through tough times to be there for our people.
- These values and attributes have withstood the test of time, and more importantly, won the PAP the respect, trust, support and votes of Singaporeans.
(Refreshing PAP Committee - 9 Nov 2003, Party Convention)